As 2008 comes to a close, let's look at the 20 most popular Gab With the Gurus Radio Shows I hosted since beginning it in July 2007. (Yes, I'm covering a time span of more than a year, but last year, I was too busy to give you a Best of Shows list.)
In case you're new to the Gab With the Gurus Radio Shows, they're designed to inspire, motivate, entertain and educate you. Guests are brought on to help you bring your life to a better, more exciting, happy and fulfilling place.
My Gab With the Gurus Radio Shows, as fans know, are hosted over at the much-acclaimed, cutting-edge, user-friendly Blog Talk Radio. What's so cool about doing a show there is that it's easy to do, all you need is a phone and people can listen at any time to your programs.
So without further ado, let's delve into the Best of Shows. We'll begin by highlighting shows at the current URL, www.BlogTalkRadio.com/GabWithTheGurus. If you forget this URL, you can always listen to my shows by just typing www.GabWithTheGurus.com. That's, in turn, routed to the Blog Talk Radio site.
1. Earlier this month, in December 2008, fans were thrilled with idea that you could get people to like you in 90 seconds or fall in love in 90 minutes. Listen now (or later, at your convenience) to this show: Instant Attraction: How to Make People Like You & make Someone Fall in Love With You With Nicholas Boothman
2. In November, after people swamped me with emails asking me about high fructose corn syrup (because they'd seen the new ads from the Corn Refiners Association), I invited several gurus to give you the truth about this cheap, widely popular, chemically synthesized, corn-based sweetener that's now used in some 2/3 of processed foods found in grocery stores today. My guests included: Curt Ellis, director of "King Corn," cardiologist Dr. Stephen T. Sinatra (contributing author to my book SUGAR SHOCK!); food formulator Russ Bianchi and nutritionist Pedro Bastos. Learn their thoughts at: High Fructose Corn Syrup: Should We Believe the New Ads? Get the Scoop About This Popular Sweetener. Get more valuable info about HFCS from researcher Dr. Richard Johnson, author of The Sugar fix, who chatted with me for the last 15 minutes of this show.
3. In addition, in November, Thanksgiving put me in a grateful frame of mind so we paid tribute to the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN), which I atttended. You can now listen to more than a dozen graduates of IIN, including Alex Jamieson (who you may have seen on "Oprah" with her husband Morgan Freeman), Amy Kalafa (one of "Two Angry Moms," who appeared on the "Today" show), acclaimed physicians Dr. Karlene ChinQuee and Dr. Jill Baron, dietitian Lynn Goldstein, Seth Braun, Dena Smith Givens, Jeanette Bronee, Jena la Flamme, Nancy Weiser, Sandra Keros, Glen Colello, Ameet Maturu, Mary Kent Hearon, Dages Keates, Kristen Domingue, Stacey Morganstern and Marilena Minucci. Learn about the school now and get their helpful health tips: Integrative Nutrition Grads Share Health Tips & How IIN Transformed Their Lives
4. During October, the acclaimed Dr. Keith Ablow gave his unique style of straight-up advice and strategies to resolve your conflicts. He guides you to move beyond the script of your past to a bright future. Get ideas now: Learn to Live the Truth With the Renowned Dr. Keith Ablow
5. September was time to answer your many questions about Twitter, this fascinating social networking phenomenon. We turned to Shel Israel, author of Naked Conversations; Arik Hesseldahl, technology writer for Business Week; David Mathison, author of Be the Media; Gedeon Maheux, Iconfactory co-founder; and Warren Whitlock, co-author of Twitter Revolution, who told you how Twitter can help you. Listen now: Twitter Talk With the Gurus — Get The Scoop on This Social Networking Phenomenon – Sep 23,2008
6. Also that month, you got the scoop from Business Week's
Stephen Baker, the author of The Numerati
, about mathematical whizzes that are watching our every purchase and surveying our interests. In addition, Curt Ellis, director of the fascinating documentary, "King Corn," talked to us about the new high fructose corn syrup ads. Listen now: Corn Syrup Ads: True or False? The Numerati: Invading Privacy? Stephen Baker & Curt Ellis Dish Dirt
7. Then, on August 5, we shed light on the scary, tick-transmitted Lyme disease, which, unfortunately took place as I was struggling with this condition myself. Guru guests included: Pamela Weintraub, author of the groundbreaking book, Cure Unkown
; Pat Smith, president of the Lyme Disease Association; Bernard D. Raxlen, M.D.; Steven J. Bock, M.D., Dr. Qingcai Zhang; author Rebecca Wells (Ya-Ya
novels) and Kris Newby, senior producer of the new documentary, “Under Our Skin: The Untold Story of Lyme Disease.” Get educated now: Lyme Disease: Get the Truth on the Fast-Spreading Disease With Pamela Weintraub & Other Experts
(See how small ticks here by looking at the artwork to your left.)
8. In mid-July, fans loved the show, Lose Weight With Celebrity Diet & Fitness Expert Harley Pasternak and "The Charmed's" Victoria Moran. Harley, one of America's most sought-after diet and fitness experts, shared details about his "5 Factor Diet" (also the name of his book. We also heard about some of his hot celebrity clients, who include Halle Berry, Alicia Keys, Mandy Moore, Orlando Bloom, Zack Braff and Robert Downey, Jr. Then, the formerly overweight Victoria Moran, author of Fat, Broke & Lonely No More, shared how she has kept weight off for 24 years.
9. A month previously, on June 17, you raved about the show, in which you got (and can still get) pearls of wisdom and helpful tips on how achieve joy in your life with Marci Shimoff, a featured teacher in The Secret. Marci, author of Happy for No Reason, gives you tools so you can become happy from the inside out. Listen now to this empowering, exciting show: Happiness: Learn How to Get It With Marci Shimoff of The Secret
FYI, mid-June 2008 was when The Gab With the Gurus Radio Show, formerly called the Stop SUGAR SHOCK!, moved to a new URL, www.BlogTalkRadio.com/GabWithTheGurus. (You can also get there by just going to: www.GabWithTheGurus.com.)
The new Gab With the Gurus URL was reflective of a broader focus. Rather than just spotlighting gurus in health, wellness and fitness, the show now also features experts in personal empowerment, blogging, social networking, Law of Attraction, relationships, romance, fiction and more.
Listen now to this brief announcement that Gab With the Gurus Show Moves to A New Location and covers a variety of fields. While it was called the Stop Sugar Shock Radio Show, more exciting guests intrigued you. Here are some of your favorite shows, according to the hundreds of emails I've received.
10. Fans of this show also enjoyed May's show with the acclaimed creativity expert Julia Cameron, author of The Writing Diet and The Artists Way. She chatted with me and gave you tips on how to journal your way to weight loss. You can catch her show now: Write Away Your Weight With Creativity Expert Julia Cameron.
11. Also that month, a panel of acclaimed experts gave you the scoop about social networking. Find out now about it: Social Networking 101 With Sreenath Sreenivasan, Yvonne DiVita, Rohit Bhargava, Toby Greenberg and David Riklan.
12. Then in April, in honor my 10 years sugar-free, I hosted Part I and Part II of a one-of-a-kind Gab Fest With the Gurus, "The Keys to Sweet Glee Naturally," where numerous experts spent some 5 minutes to share something inspiring to help them take their lives to the next level. It was a speed-interviewing guru extravaganza, sort of like speed dating except that you left each and every interview feeling uplifted, as thousands raved of pleased fans wrote to me.
Part I was a 2-hour show that featured 15 influential people in health, wellness, nutrition and personal empowerment, including Dr. Bernie Siegel, Dr. Dharma Singh Khalsa, Alex Jamieson, Marla ("FlyLady") Cilley, Liz Lipski and Dr. Hyla Cass. Listen now to Gab-Fest With the Gurus — 15 Renowned Guests to Inspire & Educate You (In Honor of 10 Years Free)
Part I, which was held on April 15, 1998 — my actual, 10-years-off-sugar anniversary date, or what I now fondly call the year I was reborn — was a big hit with listeners, who enjoyed getting short, motivational tidbits from the gurus.
Likewise, Part II went over well with listeners, who appreciated hearing from the 93-year-old Jack LaLanne, who has more energy than people half his age — or even one-third his age.
Jack, who also was kind enough to be interviewed for my book SUGAR SHOCK!, was joined by "Mr. Fire" Joe Vitale, one of the teachers in the hit movie and book, The Secret, "First Lady of Nutrition" Ann Louise Gittleman and "Secret Weapon" Donna Le Blanc. , the inspirational has more energy than people half his age — or even one-third his age. This was a real treat! Listen to part II now, Jack LaLanne, Joe Vitale, Ann Louise Gittleman & Donna LeBlanc: Gab-Fest With the Gurus.
13. You also liked March's important show educated people about one of the biggest dangers today. Listen now to: Diabetes: Are You One of 21 Million Americans With this Disease? American Diabetes Alert Day Show with Dr. Ann Albright, President, Health Care & Education for the American Diabetes Association, cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra, who is contributing author for SUGAR SHOCK!; and nutritionist Dr. Jonny Bowden.
14. Fans of this show also were entertained and helped In February by the charismatic Lisa Nichols, one of the acclaimed teachers in The Secret. When she came on this radio show, she shared invaluable tips so you can make your dreams happen, whether you want to lose weight, make money, find love or get more friends. Catch this exciting show now: The Secret: Oprah Guest Lisa Nichols Tells You How to Use The Secret to Lose Weight, Find Love, Etc.
15. Meanwhile, the previous month, in January 2008, people were shocked to learn that sugar can mess up your brain. This was part of a fascinating program, Glucose Shrinks, Withers & Atrophies Your Brain! Listen to pediatric neurosurgeon Dr. Larry McCleary. Listeners loved getting the scoop from the famed pediatric neurosurgeon, Dr. Larry McCleary, who told you the sour news about how glucose shrinks, withers and atrophies your brain! In addition, Dr. McCleary, author of The Brain Trust Program, ave you tips to improve your memory and reach your brain's full potential.
16. Another very popular show in January with renowned nutritionist J.J. Virgin, C.N.S., C.H.F.I. gave you the truth about certain accepted, weight-loss untruths. Listen now to: Debunking Common Weight Loss Myths With Guest Nutritionist J.J.Virgin of "Dr. Phil." J.J. shares her insights and eye-opening revelations while blasting such misconceptions as these: (1) You need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. (2) You should count calories and restrict them by 500 per day to shed weight. (3) You need to do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily for weight loss. Learn how they're not true.
Top Shows 2007
17. Another very popular show — one of the biggest favorites with listeners — took place in December, when "FlyLady" (Marla Cilley) kindly joined me as co-host, and together, we answered your questions during a special 1-hour program. We helped you with your queries about what to do over the holidays, and we inspired you (we hope) to realize that the holidays don't have to mean sugar sprees and being disorganized. A very special thanks to Marla, who has her own wildly popular call-in show here at BlogTalk Radio, for joining me. In addition, I'm tremendously grateful to Marla for so graciously talking to me numerous times and offering me the most amazing guidance. Marla, I just can't thank you enough! In fact, it's because of Marla that I now host an hour-long, call-in show, Just Ask Connie & Company show, on the last Tuesday of every month. Listen now to Marla's and my call last year: Just Ask Connie & FlyLady — Call Live to (646) 716-7312 to Get Help to Stop Your Sugar Shock!
18. People also were really intrigued by my show last December with Alan Levy, the innovative founder of Blog Talk Radio, who told you all about this exciting platform. Listen now to: BlogTalkRadio.com Founder/CEO Alan Levy Talks About Rewards, Joys, Challenges & Goals of BTR.
19. Listeners to this Gab With the Gurus Radio Show, then called the Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Radio Show, also were enthusisatic about the November show with the renowned relationships and personal growth expert and # 1 bestselling author Dr. Barbara DeAngelis. Unless you've been under a rock, you've heard of her many books, including How to Make Love All the Time, What Women Want Men to Know, Are You the One for Me? and her most recent book, How Did I Get Here? Catch this popular show now: Dr. Barbara De Angelis Tells You Learn How to Achieve Success & Happiness from the Inside Out.
20. Meanwhile, one of the most popular shows to date was when I interviewed the acclaimed physician, frequent "Oprah" guest and # 1 New York Times bestselling author Dr. Mehmet Oz on October 20, 2007. At the time, his mega-bestselling book, YOU: Staying Young
, was being released that week — curiously the day before Halloween. As usual, Dr. Oz was fascinating, enthralling and captivating. Just click here to listen now to this exciting show: How YOU Can Stay Young & Youthful With Dr. Mehmet Oz
21. In that same month, October, another favorite show with fans was the one I held with the dynamic Harvey Walden IV, the impassioned, inspirational work-out trainer on the popular TV show, "Celebrity Fit Club" on VH1. I booked Harvey after meeting him at a popular Learning Annex Class. He inspired participants so much to start exercising that I immediately set things in motion to book him on this radio show. Click here now to catch the motivating show: No Excuses, Folks! Get Off Your Butt! Get Inspired W/ "Celebrity Fit Club" Trainer Harvey Walden IV. Please note that the interview begins at 40 seconds in.
22. Another popular show was the one I held in September 2007 with award-winning science journalist Gary Taubes, whose groundbreaking new book, Good Calories, Bad Calories, had just been released. In an enlightening interview, he shared how those fast-acting, refined carbs can lead to a host of chronic diseases, including heart disease and type 2 diabetes. He'll shock you when he reveals that exercise doesn't lead to weight loss; obesity isn't caused by overeating and sedentary behavior; and salt does not cause high b1ood pressure. Listen now: The Low-Fat, High-Carb Diet Hoax: Why Conventional Wisdom Wrong — With Gary Taubes
23. That same month, fans loved learning about how to Find Yourself Through Blogging: Unlocking Self-Expression Online With Opinionistas.com Founder. This was a lively, informative show with Melissa Lafsky, the provocative founder of Opinionistas.com.
24. In August, listeners enjoyed the fact that the show tickled your funny bone. My guest was the entertaining Brian Frazer, author of the acclaimed book, Hyper-Chondriac. Listen now to: Are You a Hyper-Chondriac?
25. And finally, our first show on July 7, 2007, which featured popular low-carb blogger Jimmy Moore, was also quite popular. Listen to Jimmy share his astounding success story. He even answers the question for you: How Do You Lose 180 Pounds?
I hope you'll have fun listening to these Best of Gab With the Gurus Radio Shows from 2008 and Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Radio Shows in 2007. Remember, you can catch my radio shows anytime that's convenient for you by visiting the Blog Talk Radio site here.
At this point, I also wanted to thank the many wonderful pleople at Blog Talk Radio, who've been incredibly friendly, imaginative and helpful to me since I started the show in July 2007. By the way, if you want to host your own radio show, I highly recommend that you do it over here.
This post would not be complete without some thank yous. In addition to thanking Marla ("FlyLady") — see above — I want to convey my heartfelt gratitude to the folks at Blog Talk Radio.
In particular, I'd like to thank the forward-thinkng Blog Talk Radio founder Alan Levy for being smart enough to have this idea for a citizen-driven radio network on the Internet. What an amazing place we have! Thank you, Alan!
In addition, I want to convey my profound appreciation for other fabulous Blog Talk Radio people, many of whom have bent over backwards to help this techno idiot!
I especially want to thank:
- Christina Blodgett
- Amy Domestico
- Hillary Leewong
- John Sweet
- John Havens
- Shannon Dingee
- Demos Yannikos and
- Nikki Starr
You've all been so amazingly friendly and helpful to me. Thank you so very much, my BTR friends!
Readers, I encourage you now to write back. Please submit a comment to let us know which shows you liked the best and why. And send your ideas for future shows, too.