Author Susan Shapiro — who credits a psychoanalyst with helping her to quit smoking, drinking, pot, gum and sugar — has devised an innovative spin-off concept to help fans, friends and friends of friends learn about therapy and coaching.
Susan has created "Speed Shrinking" events — think speed dating with shrinks and other self-help gurus.
Speed Shrinking events are being held to coincide with the publication of Susan's debut novel, Speed Shrinking, a humorous account about how self-help guru Julia Goodman develops a cupcake addiction when feeling abandoned by her therapist, best friend and husband. Frantic to slim down and find help before a major national TV appearance, she desperately goes on a shrink shopping spree, seeing 8 in 8 days to find a new analyst. (Amusing scenario, right?)
As mentioned on this Sugar Shock Blog earlier this month, Sue's first "Speed Shrinking" event — in which people could chat for 3 minutes about their sugar challenges, writing goals or other issues with eight self-help types — was held
earlier this month at Knickerbocker Bar in New York City. You can also read about the event in Publisher's Weekly and also at the Pomp Lives blog. (I was fortunate enough to be one of the "Speed Shrinkers.")
On Wednesday, Wed., Aug. 26, you can attend another fun, helpful Speed Shrinking Book Party and Free Head Shrinking at the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe. The event is a benefit for the Housing Works, which helps homelessness and AIDS. Another one is scheduled for Wed., Sept. 16 at Knickerbocker Bar.
The Speed Shrinking events are brilliant book promotional gimmicks, from my perspective as a fellow author.
Susan points out that in her novel, Speed Shrinking "features a shrinkoholic heroine, who sees eight shrinks in eight days… So in order to recreate her experience for readers, I'm throwing a series of speed shrinking parties filled with my brilliant author guru friends."
Those on hand to do Speed Shrinking on Aug. 26 include:
- Susan Shapiro (of course), who will be available to chat about her book, Speed Shrinking
- Psychologist Diana Kirschner, author of Love in 90 Days
- Sociologist Jon Fast, author of Ceremonial Violence: Understanding Columbine and Other School Rampage Shootings
- Sherry Amatenstein, LMSW, NYU instructor, writer for iVillage, etc. and author of The Complete Marriage Counselor: Relationship-Saving Advice from America’s Top 50 + Couples Therapists (upcoming)
- Yours truly, Connie Bennett, author of SUGAR SHOCK!
- Derner Institute Psychotherapist Jay Crosby
- Manuscript doctor Paula Derrow, editor at Self magazine, MediaBistro instructor and author of Behind the Bedroom Door
- Vatsal Thakkar, M.D., Director of the Graduate Medical Education Wellness Team at the NYU Langone Medical Center and author of two young adult textbooks on psychiatry.
If you're struggling with a sugar addiction, I recommend that you:
- Listen to my upcoming Gab With the Gurus Radio Show on Sept. 22 at 3 pm EST, when Sue appears as my guest. Listen below.
- Check out Susan Shapiro's entertaining novel, Speed Shrinking. (I believe you'll enjoy how Sue pokes fun and delves deeply at the same time into her sugar struggles.)
Not surprisingly, Susan's entertaining book, Speed Shrinking — which has been keeping me up late at night — is receiving rave reviews. Here are a few snippets, for instance:
- “…bubbly…an original voice and an energy that will resonate with anyone who’s ever stared down a Twinkie.” —-Publisher’s Weekly
- “Susan Shapiro does for therapy and food what Candace Bushnell did for sex and shoes.” —Guy Nicolucci, writer for Late Night with Conan O’Brien
- “A powerful, soulful, laugh-out-loud delight.” —Ian Frazier, author of Dating Your Mom
- “A hilarious search for Dr. Right. Susan Shapiro makes neuroticism fun.” —Amy Alkon, of AdviceGoddess.com
- “Proust had a cookie. Susan Shapiro has a cupcake – and a really hilarious book.” —Patricia Marx, author of Him, Her, Him, Again the End of Him
New Yorkers, hope to see you at Susan Shapiro's Speed Shrinking event on Aug. 26,
Remember, you can get entertained, educated and inspired by listening live on Sept. 22 at 3 pm EST or later, when Sue appears on my Gab With the Gurus Radio Show.
By the way, check out a photo here from the most recent Speed Shrinking event.