Frequently, members of my free, online KickSugar group ask me: “Can you give me a list of sugarfree foods?”
Due to the overwhelming demand, after months of gathering information about products with no added sugars, I previously posted such a list, but since many of you keep repeating this same question, here again is your Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Sugarfree Shopper’s Guide.
Now, like me, you, can learn the joys of being sugarfree and becoming a Savvy Sugar Sleuth™. (Special thanks to Amy of my KickSugar group for graciously volunteering to look up URLs for many of these products.)
- I’m providing this Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Sugarfree Shopper’s Guide as a public service to Sugar Kickers everywhere.
- This is not a complete list so you can play an important role to help expand this list. Just add your comments to this entry.
- Products containing artificial sweeteners are NOT included.
- Please carefully read food labels before buying all products, even if they’re on this list, because the manufacturer may have changed the ingredients and even added sugar after I examined the label. (See Trader Joes’s interesting item on How to Read the Nutrition Facts Panel.)
- If you’re serious about cutting out sugar from your diet, make sure to buy only the specific items I’ve tracked down for you. Many of the companies whose products I list make several versions of the same product, with most of them containing added sweeteners.
- Most of these foods are available at health food chains such as Whole Foods (178 stores in the U.S. and the United Kingdom) and Wild Oats Markets, Inc. (113 stores in 24 states and British Columbia), and perhaps at such specialty stores as Trader Joe’s (over 200 stores in 19 states) and more.
- Please make sure that you eat moderate portions.
- If you have wheat or other allergies, make sure to avoid certain foods on this list. Some experts suggest refraining completely from grains, even if they’re whole grains, but I believe that most Americans won’t go to this length — so if folks will eat them anyway, I might as well provide a list of the more healthy ones to select. (I’m personally a fan of eating grains sparingly or moderately.)
- You may freely distribute this article to friends, acquaintances, websites and Internet support groups, but you must provide the following copyright credit — Copyright (c) 2005, Connie Bennett, SugarShockBlog.com and DBA Stop SUGAR SHOCK.
Sugarfree Shopping List – Compiled by Connie Bennett, www.SugarShockBlog.com
* The Baker Linseed Wheat Free Organic Bread, Sunflower Seed Organic Bread, Four Grain Organic Bread
* Damascus Bakeries, 4 Whole Wheat Pitas
* Food for Life, Ezekiel 4:9™ Sprouted Grain Tortillas (This is the only Ezekiel bread I could find that doesn’t contain malted barley, a sweetener.)
* French Meadow Health Seed Spelt Bread. Very yummy toasted. Recommended by dietitian Ann-Louise Gittleman, Ph.D. and others. (Other types of bread from this company include: Organic Woman’s Bread with Soy Isoflavones, Men’s Bread, Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread, Summer Bread, Sunflower & Flax Bread, Country Sourdough Pizza Crusts, Sourdough Bagels, Brown Rice Bread, Peasant Rolls, Sprouted Bagels with Ezekiel 4:9 Grains.)
* Genuine Bavarian Whole Grain Bread, Organic Flaxseed Bread
* Manna Breads – Whole Rye Manna Bread, Sun Seed Manna Bread, Multigrain Manna Bread, Millet Rice Manna Bread and Whole Wheat Manna Bread are sugar free. The others contain sweeteners. (This bread is absolutely yummy — tastes like dessert to me! — and no sweeteners at all are included!)
* Mestemacher All Natural Famous German Fitnessbread. This company is based in Germany, but you can order in the states from German Deli at 877-437-6269 or go online. Many other flavors also available, including Organic Rye & Spelt Bread, Sunflower Seed Bread
* Landsberg Muesli Bread and other breads.
Available from supermarkets and http://www.germangrocery.com
* Puebla Foods 100% Natural Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
http://pueblafoods.tripod.com/en2.html (Website under construction at this writing.)
* Stickling’s Total Value Bread Organic 100 % Spelt Bread
* Sunnyvale Bakery Ginger Sprouted Organic Bread
* Whole Foods Organic Whole Wheat Burrito
* Barbara’s Bakery Original Shredded Wheat
* Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs & Sesame (Kashi, now a division of Kellogg’s, offers many cereals. Make sure to get the one without honey and other sweeteners. This is the only Kashi brand that’s sugarfree, and, darn, is it good!
* Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. This delicious, crunchy cereal contains whole oats, long grain brown rice, whole rye, whole hard red winter wheat, whole triticale, whole buckwheat, whole barley and sesame seeds. Yummy!
* Old Wessex Ltd. 100% natural whole grain Scottish Chewy Porridge Oats
Seem to be available at lots of online sites. Here are two examples.
* McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
* 7-Grain Hot Cereal
Also, 4 Grain Plus Flax Hot Cereal; Bear Mush Hot Cereal; Bits O Barley Hot Cereal; Old Fashioned Oatmeal; Oat Bran; Rice and Shine; Steel Cut Oats; Wheat Free7 Grain
* Old Fashioned Quaker Oats
* Amy Lyn’s Original Flax Thins
* Brown Rice Hol-Grain Crackers
* Conrad Rice Mill Brown Rice with a Touch of Salt (Gluten Free)
* Cracker Flax, Tomato Onion
Available from health food stores or http://www.crackerflax.com
* Finn Crisps (Caraway Thin rye crispbread)
* Glaser Farms All Raw Vegan Golden Flax Seed Crackers and Tomato & Bell Pepper.
* Kavli (5-Grain, Hearty Thick, Hearty Rye, All Natural Crispy Thin)
* Lydia’s Lovin’ Foods Italian Crackers (Not made of flour – includes sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted flax seeds, carrots, celery, parsley, basil, herbs, and celtic salt. Not cheap, but very tasty.
* Pizazz from Blessing’s Alive and Radiant Foods (soaked almonds and hazelnuts, red bell pepper, carrot, celery, parsley, tahini, garlic, wheat-free tamari and spices)
* Ryvita Flavorful Fiber Whole Grain Crispbread (Dark Rye, Light Rye, Whole Grain)
* Scandinavian Bran Crispbread, The original high fibre crispbread
* 365 Baked Woven Wheats
* Wasa Original Crispbread Light Rye
* Yehuda Organic Matzo
* Smucker’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (if you’re not allergic to peanuts, this is a wonderful product available at grocery stores nationwide. Again, make sure to get the one WITHOUT sugar.)
* I.M. Healthy™ Low Carb Unsweetened Creamy Soy Nut Butter and Unsweetened Chunky Soy Nut Butter (This is the only unsweetened one I’ve found, but be careful to buy the right one! Several soynut butters from this company contain sugar or honey!)
* MaraNatha Organic Creamy & Raw Almond Butter Many other sugarfree nut butters are available — just read the labels before buying them.
Some Sweetener-Free Salad Dressings
* Annie’s Naturals Caesar Dressing. Sea Veggie & Sesame Vinaigrette Shitake & Sesame Vinaigrette and Organic Green Garlic Dressing. (Annie’s makes a number of dressings without honey or other sweeteners. Again, be careful before you buy one, because this company also carries dressings with sugar.)
* Cindy’s Kitchen Rosemary & Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
Available at places like Whole Foods, Fresh Fields, Wild Oats, Henry’s Markets…
* Drew’s All Natural Kalamata Olive & Caper Dressing & 10-Minute Marinade, Drew’s All Natural Lemon Tahini Goddess Salad Dressing & Quick Noodle Sauce and other dressings
* Whole Foods Italian Vinaigrette
* Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette
Organic chicken & turkey dogs
* Applegate Farms Natural Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs
* Bilinski’s All Natural Gourmet Chicken Sausage, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil or Spinach-Garlic & Fennel
* Hans’ All Natural Chicken Sausage, Sun-Dried Tomato and Fresh Basil Sauces
* Salpica™ Rustic Tomato Salsa, mild
* Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce
* Drew’s All Natural Salsa
* Salpica™ Rustic Tomato Salsa, mild
* Abraham’s All Natural Hummos (many flavors, including Green Olives & herbs)
* Just the Cheese™, Crunchy Baked Cheese
* Glenny’s Lightly Salted Soy Chips (Again, you only want the lightly salted version. All the other flavors that I’ve seen contain sweeteners of some sort.)
* Genisoy Deep Sea Salted Soy Crisps
* Stonewall’s Jerquee Original “mild” (a vegetable protein product)
* Glaser Farms All Raw Vegan 100% Certified Organic Chickpea Carrot Croquettes
* Skinny Soy Chips, Lightly Salted (I like them, but a little too salty for my taste)
* Pignoli Pizza (Organic Ingredients: pignoli nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, celery, sun-dried tomato, pepper, celtic salt, spices; Mexican Masala (sunflower seeds, almonds, bell pepper, cilantro, lemon, garlic, onion, spices); and Mac ‘n Cheese (macadamia nuts, cashew, lemon, red pepper, kale, cayenne, celtic salt). (Alas, they’re not cheap but darn tasty!)
Available at health food stores and via http://www.bakingforhealth.com
* Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame
* 100% Organic Sweet Peas Crunchies
Soy Products (Imitation Meat and Cheese Items)
* Amy’s Organic California Burger
* Fresh Tofu Inc. Spinach Dill Spread
* Lightlife Smart Menu™ Chick’n Strips seasoned veggie strips
* Macro Vegetarian, Soy-Tein with Spinach, Chunkie Yuba with Shiitake Mushroom and Soy Bean Salad). Not sure, but I believe you can only find this in New York. Will check on this.
*Mori Nu Silken Lite Tofu Firm and Extra Firm
* Soya Kaas (soy cheese) Mild Cheddar Style, Provolone Style, Garlic & Herb Style, Swiss Style slices
* Soy Moon Real Gourmet Soy Cheese Soy Provolone Smokehouse Style, Soy Gouda and Queso Blanco Mexican Picante Style Shredded
* More Than Tofu Peanut & Ginger and More Than Tofu Pesto from Sunergia Soyfoods
* All Natural Lactose Free Better Than Cream Cheese, Vegetable Gourmet Tofu Spread and Salmon & Herbs Tofu Spread
* Natural Touch® Okara Pattie made with organic soy, Lentil Rice Loaf and Veggie Medley made with Organic Soy
* Yves Veggie Cuisine The Good Slice Cheddar Style
* Vegan Parmesan Alternative from Soyco Foods
Unsweetened So Mlk
* Unsweetened Eden Soy
* Silk Unsweetened Soymilk
* Westsoy Organic Unsweetened Soymilk (my favorite)
*Bean Cuisine, Thick As Fog Split Pea Soup
* Fantastic Foods Big Soup, Vegetarian Barley and Summer Soups, Split Pea
Pasta & Other Grains (I’m not a pasta eater myself, but my sugarfree friends recommend a variety of whole wheat and soy pastas and even spelt pasta.)
*Ancient Harvest supergrain Quinoa/corn pasta by the Quinoa Corporation
* Deboles® Angel Hair Whole Wheat Pasta, Whole Wheat Fusilli and more
* Eden Foods Bell Pepper Basil Ribbons and other types of pasta
* Fantastic Food Organic Whole Wheat Couscous and more
* Food Directions Inc. 100 % Brown Rice Tinkyada 100% brown rice pasta
* Hodgson Mill® Whole Wheat, Whole Grain Spaghetti
* Papadini® Hi-Protein Pure Lentil Bean Pasta
Adrienne’s Gourmet Foods (800-937-7010, http://www.adriennes.com)
* Pastariso™ Organic Brown Rice Pasta
Yummy, Zesty Teas (Decaffeinated)
* Yogi Tea, Healing Formula Ginger, Ginseng Royal Vitality, Computer De-Stress Tea, Stomach Ease and other decaf teas.)
* Tazo Sweet Cinnamon Spice, Wild Sweet Orange and more.
* Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer, Mandarin Orange Spice, Almond Sunset, Ginkgo Sharp and more.
* Bigelow – Mint Medley and others.
Connie Bennett is an experienced journalist and former "sugar addict," who now laughingly calls herself a "Sugar Shrew No More!" She founded and moderates a free, online KickSugar Support Group and is author of SUGAR SHOCK! (upcoming), for which she interviewed hundreds of recognized physicians, nutritionists, researchers and health advocates. Connie invites you to get your free report, “Sly Hidden Sugars,” and your free Stop SUGAR SHOCK! e-zine. Also, make sure to visit and speak out at her lively, provocative SugarShockBlog.com. ou may freely reproduce or distribute this article online or pass around printed copies, provided that you include the following: Copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved, Connie Bennett, www.SugarShockBlog.com and DBA Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Also, when you publish this article elsewhere, you need to notify Connie.