Please note that this shopping list of Packaged, Sugar-Free Foods by Brand is now being revised. So please send your suggestions for additions to it. But please first read the criteria to get on this list.
For more than a decade, people have often asked me what kinds of sugar-free foods they can buy.
In fact, since 1998 — when I had to quit sugar on doctor’s orders, I’ve been creating two lists to help you become a Savvy Sugar Sleuth™.
The first is a Sugar-Free Shopping List (with a Gluten-Free component). (Learn more about that later.)
The second is a shopping list of Packaged, Sugar-Free Foods by Brand, which is intended to help you when you’re on the go or short on time and can’t prepare a wholesome meal with fresh vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, tofu and other protein sources such as organic meats.
Before you buy packaged foods, you need to know that:
- Any time you buy foods from boxes, cans, jars or packages, they may often contain covert sweeteners, which can add up over the course of a day. So you could be eating a lot of sugar and not even know it.
- Many ostensibly healthy, packaged foods often contain one or more “natural” sweeteners such as agave, coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice.
- You need to be vigilant at all times, because it’s easy to eat sweets unknowingly. (Learn how even I got duped and was sick due to being Tricked by Sneaky Hidden Sugars for three days.)
- Food labels can often mislead you. Find out 7 Ways You Can Get Confused by Food Labels.
Please note that I first compiled this list in 2005 and I’m now updating it more than a decade later, so many sugar-free foods aren’t included. That’s where I’m relying on your help. So please submit your ideas here.
Now, it’s time to tell you about what kinds of foods are on this Sugar-Free, Packaged-Foods List.
- All foods on this Sugar-Free Packaged Foods List contain no sugar, agave, honey, barley malt, coconut sugar or any other sweeteners.
- All products do not contain artificial sweeteners.
- Please read all food labels carefully before buying products, even if they’re on this list, because the manufacturer may have changed the ingredients or added sugar after I examined the labels. (Soon I’ll post how I unknowingly ate a new packaged product, thinking it was sugar-free, and again I got sick.)
- Please note that companies often make several versions of the same product. One or several may contain sugar and one may not so buy only the specific items I’ve cited, after reviewing the label.
- As I write this, I do not have a relationship with any of the foods products or companies mentioned. I just want to promote sales of healthy, quality, sugar-free foods.
- You may not be able to find all of these foods at your local grocery store, but most of them are available at health food stores or specialty chains such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Jimbo’s or Trader Joe’s.
- If you have allergies to gluten, nuts or other substances, make sure to avoid appropriate foods from this list. (Some experts suggest refraining from grains completely. Although I’m a fan of eating grains moderately or sparingly, since I’m realistic, I’m providing you ideas for healthier ones to select.) Please note that I’m now adding more gluten-free options to this list, and you’ll find GF next to the item.
- Please remember that this is not a complete list.
- Make sure to e-mail me and post names on this blog of other sugar-free foods, which you think should be on this list.
- The Baker Linseed Wheat Free Organic Bread, Sunflower Seed Organic Bread, Four Grain Organic Bread
- Damascus Bakeries, 4 Whole Wheat Pitas
- Food for Life, Ezekiel 4:9™ Sprouted Grain Tortillas (This is the only Ezekiel bread I could find that doesn’t contain malted barley, a sweetener.) (http://www.food-for-life.com)
- French Meadow Organic Woman’s Bread with Soy Isoflavones, Men’s Bread, Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread, Summer Bread, Sunflower & Flax Bread, Country Sourdough Pizza Crusts, Sourdough Bagels, Brown Rice Bread, Peasant Rolls, Sprouted Bagels with Ezekiel 4:9 Grains, Health Seed Spelt Bread (recommended by dietitian Gittleman and others. (877) NO-YEAST (http://www.frenchmeadow.com/healthspelt_sell.htm, http://www.frenchmeadow.com/woman_sell.htm, http://www.frenchmeadow.com/nut_men.htm)
- Genuine Bavarian Whole Grain Bread, Organic Flaxseed Bread
- Manna Breads – Whole Rye Manna Bread, Sun Seed Manna Bread, Multigrain Manna Bread, Millet Rice Manna Bread and Whole Wheat Manna Bread are sugarfree. The others contain sweeteners. (This bread is absolutely yummy — tastes like dessert to me! — and no sweeteners at all are included!) (http://www.naturespath.com/products)
- Mestemacher All Natural Famous German Fitnessbread. This company is based in Germany, but you can order in the states from German Deli at 877-437-6269 or go online. Many other flavors also available, including Organic Rye & Spelt Bread, Sunflower Seed Bread (http://www.germandeli.com/084213000781.html)
- Landsberg Muesli Bread and other breads. (Available from supermarkets and www.germangrocery.com)
- Puebla Foods 100% Natural Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
- Stickling’s Total Value Bread Organic 100 % Spelt Bread
- Sunnyvale Bakery Ginger Sprouted Organic Bread
- Whole Foods Organic Whole Wheat Burrito
- Barbara’s Bakery Original Shredded Wheat
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs & Sesame (Kashi, now a division of Kellogg’s, offers many cereals. Make sure to get the one without honey and other sweeteners. This is the only Kashi brand that’s sugarfree, and, darn, is it good!
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. This delicious, crunchy cereal contains whole oats, long grain brown rice, whole rye, whole hard red winter wheat, whole triticale, whole buckwheat, whole barley and sesame seeds. Yummy!
- Old Wessex Ltd. 100% natural whole grain Scottish Chewy Porridge Oats
- McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- Arrowhead Mills 7-Grain Cereal
- Mary’s Gone Crackers (GF). I love these organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan, kosher products. Check out their new Sea Salt Pretzels, too.
- Amy Lyn’s Original Flax Thins (GF)
- Brown Rice Hol-Grain Crackers (GF)
- Conrad Rice Mill Brown Rice with a Touch of Salt (GF)
- Cracker Flax, Tomato Onion (Available from health food stores or www.crackerflax.com) (GF)
- Finn Crisps (Caraway Thin rye crispbread)
- Glaser Farms All Raw Vegan Golden Flax Seed Crackers and Tomato & Bell Pepper( GF). (www.Glaserorganicfarms.com)
- Kavli (5-Grain, Hearty Thick, Hearty Rye, All Natural Crispy Thin)
- Lydia’s Lovin’ Foods Italian Crackers (GF — includes sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted flax seeds, carrots, celery, parsley, basil, herbs, and celtic salt. (www.lydiasorganics.com)
- Pizazz from Blessing’s Alive and Radian Foods (soaked almonds and hazelnuts, red bell pepper, carrot, celery, parsley, tahini, garlic, wheat-free tamari and spices) (GF)
- Ryvita Flavorful Fiber Whole Grain Crispbread (Dark Rye, Light Rye, Whole Grain)
- Scandinavian Bran Crispbread, The original high fibre crispbread
- 365 Baked Woven Wheats
- Wasa Original Crispbread Light Rye
- Yehuda Organic Matzo
- NuttZo Seven Nut & Seed Butter (GF).This is another product I love. The seven-seed butter is awesome if you’re avoiding nuts. Also, please be careful to purchase one that isn’t sweetened.
- Smucker’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (if you’re not allergic to peanuts, this is a wonderful product available at grocery stores nationwide. Again, make sure to get the one WITHOUT sugar.)
- I.M. Healthy™ Low Carb Unsweetened Creamy Soy Nut Butter and Unsweetened Chunky Soy Nut Butter (This is the only unsweetened one I’ve found, but be careful to buy the right one! Several soynut butters from this company contain sugar or honey!)
- MaraNatha Organic Creamy & Raw Almond Butter
Many other sugarfree nut butters are available — just read the labels before buying them.
Some Sweetener-Free Salad Dressings
- Annie’s Naturals Caesar Dressing. Sea Veggie & Sesame Vinaigrette Shitake & Sesame Vinaigrette and Organic Green Garlic Dressing. (Annie’s makes a number of dressings without honey or other sweeteners. Again, be careful before you buy one, because this company also carries dressings with sugar.)
- Cindy’s Kitchen Rosemary & Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- Drew’s All Natural Kalamata Olive & Caper Dressing & 10-Minute Marinade, Drew’s All Natural Lemon Tahini Goddess Salad Dressing & Quick Noodle Sauce and other dressings
- Whole Foods Italian Vinaigrette
- Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette
Organic chicken & turkey dogs
- Applegate Farms Natural Uncured TurkeyHot Dogs
- Bilinski’s All Natural Gourmet Chicken Sausage, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil or Spinach-Garlic & Fennel
- Hans’ All Natural Chicken Sausage, Sun-Dried Tomato and Fresh Basil
- Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce
<type=”square” style=”MARGIN-TOP: 0in”>
- Drew’s All Natural Salsa
- Abraham’s All Natural Hummos (many flavors, including Green Olives & herbs)
- Just the Cheese™, Crunchy Baked Cheese (http://www.specialcheese.com/bakedch.htm)
- Glenny’s Lightly Salted Soy Chips (Again, you only want the lightly salted version. All the other flavors that I’ve seen contain sweeteners of some sort.)
- Genisoy Deep Sea Salted Soy Crisps
- Stonewall’s Jerquee Original “mild” (a vegetable protein product)
- Glaser Farms All Raw Vegan 100% Certified Organic Chickpea Carrot Croquettes
- Skinny Soy Chips, Lightly Salted (I like them, but a little too salty for my taste)
- Pignoli Pizza (Organic Ingredients: pignoli nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, celery, sun-dried tomato, pepper, celtic salt, spices; Mexican Masala (sunflower seeds, almonds, bell pepper, cilantro, lemon, garlic, onion, spices); and Mac ‘n Cheese (macadamia nuts, cashew, lemon, red pepper, kale, cayenne, celtic salt). Available at health food stores and via www.bakingforhealth.com (Alas, they’re not cheap but darn tasty!)
Soy Products (Imitation Meat and Cheese Items)
(Some might argue that I shouldn’t have put soy products on this list because of the fact that the literature is mixed about them, but I contend that these are a lot healthier than sugary foods.)
- Amy’s Organic California Burger
- Fresh Tofu Inc. Spinach Dill Spread (www.freshtofu.com)
- Lightlife Smart Menu™ Chick’n Strips seasoned veggie strips
- Macro Vegetarian, Soy-Tein with Spinach, Chunkie Yuba with Shiitake Mushroom and Soy Bean Salad)
- Mori Nu Silken Lite Tofu Firm and Extra Firm
- Soya Kaas (soy cheese) Mild Cheddar Style, Provolone Style, Garlic & Herb Style
- Soya Kaas Swiss Style slices
- Soy Moon Real Gourmet Soy Cheese Soy Provolone Smokehouse Style, Soy Gouda and Queso Blanco Mexican Picante Style Shredded
- More Than Tofu Peanut & Ginger and More Than Tofu Pesto from Sunergia Soyfoods
- All Natural Lactose Free Better Than Cream Cheese, Vegetable Gourmet Tofu Spread and Salmon & Herbs Tofu Spread
- Natural Touch® Okara Pattie made with organic soy, Lentil Rice Loaf and Veggie Medley made with Organic Soy
- Yves Veggie Cuisine The Good Slice Cheddar Style
- Vegan Parmesan Alternative from Soyco Foods (http://www.soyco.com)
Unsweetened soy milk
- Unsweetened Coconut milk
Unsweetened Eden Soy
- Silk Unsweetened Soymilk
- Bean Cuisine, Thick As Fog Split Pea Soup
- Fantastic Foods Big Soup, Vegetarian Barley and Summer Soups, Split Pea (http://www.fantasticfoods.com)
Pasta & Other Grains (I’m not a pasta eater myself, but my sugarfree friends recommend a variety of whole wheat and soy pastas and even spelt pasta.)
- Ancient Harvest supergrain Quinoa/corn pasta by the Quinoa Corporation
- Deboles® Angel Hair Whole Wheat Pasta, Whole Wheat Fusilli and more
- Eden Foods Bell Pepper Basil Ribbons and other types of pasta (http://www.edenfoods.com)
- Fantastic Food Organic Whole Wheat Couscous and more
- Food Directions Inc. 100 % Brown Rice Tinkyada 100% brown rice pasta (http://www.tinkyada.com)
- Hodgson Mill® Whole Wheat, Whole Grain Spaghetti
- Papadini® Hi-Protein Pure Lentil Bean Pasta from Adrienne’s Gourmet Foods (800-937-7010, http://www.adriennes.com)
- Pastariso™ Organic Brown Rice Pasta (http://www.riceinnovations.com)
Yummy, Zesty Teas (Decaffeinated)
- Yogi Tea, Healing Formula Ginger, Ginseng Royal Vitality, Computer De-Stress Tea, Stomach Ease and other decaf teas.)
- Tazo Sweet Cinnamon Spice, Wild Sweet Orange and more.
- Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer, Mandarin Orange Spice, Almond Sunset, Ginkgo Sharp and more.
- Bigelow – Mint Medley and others.
Connie Bennett is an experienced journalist and former sugar addict, who is author of the bestselling books, Sugar Shock and Beyond Sugar Shock, for which she interviewed hundreds of recognized physicians, nutritionists, researchers and health advocates. Connie invites you to get your free report, “Sly Hidden Sugars,” and your free e-zine. Also, make sure to visit and speak out at her lively, provocative SugarShockBlog.com. This article is provided as a public service. You may freely reproduce or distribute this article online or pass around printed copies, provided that you include the following: Copyright © 2005, Revised 2016, All Rights Reserved, DBA, Stop SUGAR SHOCK! Feel free to reprint this article, but make sure to notify Connie.